Dr. Jun Wang
Reader, Department of Computer Science
Programme Director, MSc/MRes Web Science and Big Data Analytics
University College London
Email: jun.wang (at) cs.ucl.ac.uk
Office: 3.08 66-72 Gower Street
Co-founder, Chief Scientist, MediaGamma, an AI/Machine Learning spin-out from my research lab.
My research focus is on intelligent information systems covering:
- machine Learning, reinforcement learning, generative models,
- statistical modeling of information retrieval, and dynamic information retrieval,
- data mining, personalization, and collaborative filtering (recommendation),
- web economy and online advertising,
- peer-to-peer systems.
- Editor Board, Springer Journal of Big Data
- PC, the annual meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), 2013
- Senior PC ACM CIKM since 2011
- Area chair ACM SIGIR 2017
- PC ACM WSDM 2013
- PC ACM Recommender Systems 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
- PC ACM SIGIR 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- CIKM 2011 Tutorial: Statistical Information Retrieval Modelling: From Probability Ranking Principle to recent advances in diversity, Portfolio Theory, and beyond
- Co-organizer: DiveRS 2011 – International Workshop on Novelty and Diversity in Recommender Systems
- ECIR2011 Tutorial: Risk Management in Information Retrieval
- Co-organizer: DDR-2011: Diversity in Document Retrieval
- Editorial Board Member of ACM SIGMM Records, 2008 -2010
- Co-organizer: International workshop: Complex Networks meet Information & Knowledge Management(CNIKM) 2009
- UCLB One-to-Watch award 2016
- Best Paper Prize, AdKDD 2014
- Best Paper Prize, ECIR2012
- Best Paper Prize, ECIR2009
- “Beyond Search – Semantic Computing and Internet Economics“, Microsoft 2007
- Best Doctoral Consortium award, ACM SIGIR06
Dr. Jun Wang is Reader (Associated Professor) in Computer Science, University College London, and Founding Director of MSc Web Science and Big Data Analytics. He is also Co-founder and Chief Scientist in MediaGamma, a UCL spin-out focusing on AI for intelligent audience decision making.
His main research interests are in the areas of intelligent information systems, covering information retrieval, personalization, data mining, online advertising, reinforcement learning, and deep learning. His team won the first global real-time bidding algorithm contest with 80+ participants worldwide. Jun has published over 100 research papers and is a winner of multiple “Best Paper” awards. He was a recipient of the Beyond Search – Semantic Computing and Internet Economics award sponsored by Microsoft Research and also received Yahoo! FREP Faculty award. MediaGamma has received the UCLB One-to-Watch award 2016.
He has more than 15 years track records of advising the industry and knowledge transfer. He was a technical advisor for startups such as Last.Fm, Passiv Systems, Massive Analytic, Context Scout, and Polecat, and had various projects with BT, Microsoft, Yahoo!, Alibaba etc.
Dr. Wang obtained his PhD degree in Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands; MSc degree in National University of Singapore, Singapore; and Bachelor degree in Southeast University, Nanjing, China.